- How can I bond someone out of jail?
- When will an inmate go to court?
- What kind of property can I drop off for an inmate?
- A friend/relative was in jail and left property, how long do I have to pick the property up?
- Can I drop off money for an inmate?
- What are the visiting hours?
- Where is the jail located?
- Can I send mail or email to an inmate?
- Can I call an inmate or leave a message for an inmate?
For full, current information, please go to the Sheriff’s website [http://www.co.la-crosse.wi.us/sheriff/].
During regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 5PM, excluding Holidays), bond can be posted at the Clerk of Courts office located in room 1200 of the Law Enforcement Center. The Clerk of Courts office will accept cash, a money order, or a cashier’s check. No personal checks accepted.
During normal business hours, City of La Crosse Municipal bonds may be posted at the La Crosse City Hall, 400 La Crosse St.
After business hours and on holidays bond can be posted at Master Control in the jail. Master Control can be accessed by entering the jail at the public visitor’s entrance on WEST end of the Law Enforcement Center at the bottom of the ramp. The jail will accept a money order, cashier’s check or a major credit card. Please note there is an additional fee charged if bond is posted by credit card. The jail does not accept cash or personal checks.
If you are paying by money order or cashier’s check, they are to be made out to:
- For La Crosse City Municipal bonds—“City of La Crosse”
- For Out of County Warrants—“(name of specific County) County”
- All others—“La Crosse County Clerk of Court”
If the defendant fails to comply with ANY conditions of bond, the bond money could be forfeited. If the defendant is found guilty, the bond will be applied to any restitution, fine or costs.
The initial court appearance is typically scheduled for Intake Court at 1:30PM the next business day after the arrest. To find an inmate’s next scheduled court appearance, click here for WI Circuit Court Access [https://wcca.wicourts.gov/]. Please note that it may sometimes take a day or two for CCAP information to be entered. We cannot guarantee that information is accurate.
NO items may be dropped for an inmate, except prescription medications, eyeglasses or other medical equipment (must be approved by the Jail Nurse). An identification card is required when dropping off these items.
Books, hygiene items, writing material, uniforms and shoes are provided to the inmate while in custody. Inmates may purchase stamps, snacks, underwear, t-shirts and other necessities through canteen with their own funds.
If the inmate has completed the property release form naming you as the person to get the property, you have 30 days to claim it or it will be disposed of. To pick up property, come to Master Control with a valid picture ID.
Yes, you can deposit funds (cash, no personal checks) into an inmate’s account through the kiosk machine that is located in the jail video visitation area. Please note that any fees owed by the inmate will be deducted from the deposit. Inmates are allowed to order canteen items 3 times a week if they have money in their inmate account. The items on the canteen list include writing material, stamps, envelopes, personal hygiene items, snack type food, and money towards phone cards. The maximum amount an inmate may spend on a single order is $40.00.
Visitation is on-site by video-conferencing at the Jail’s lobby visitation area, or it may be remote by use of your personal device including cell phones or personal computers that have web cameras connected to them. You must first establish an account. There is no cost for video-conferencing on site at the jail. There is a charge for on-line visiting. It is best to get that from the Securus web site in case it changes.
- ON-SITE VIDEO VISITATION: seven days a week, 9a-11:30a, 1p-4:30p, and 6p-10p. Visitations are limited to thee times a week on-site.
- REMOTE VISITATION: hours are generally from 8a-10p except during mealtimes or special considerations. The number of visitations by remote is unlimited.
For more information as well as costs, registration, rules and more, please visit the Sheriff’s website [http://www.co.la-crosse.wi.us/Sheriff/] or the Securus link [https://securustech.net/friends]. The Sheriff’s Department does not operate Securus. Here are some support telephone numbers for Securus:
1-800-844-6491 … Securus Main Support Line
1-972-734-1111 … Securus Support Number when calling from a mobile device
1-877-578-3658 … Securus Video Visitation Support line
The La Crosse County Jail entrance is located on the South side of the Law Enforcement Center, 333 Vine Street, La Crosse, WI. The doorway is in the middle of the block on Vine Street – not the corner entrance on Vine and 4th Streets.
The jail is no longer accepting mail for inmates but is using an eMessaging system. eMessaging allows family and friends to communicate with an incarcerated loved one using email-like messaging.
- Send a text based message
- Take a photo on your mobile device or send photo from your gallery
- Receive a text based message from an inmate (if you purchase a reply)
How it works:
- You must have a Securus Online account and login to use eMessaging
- Messages are sent and received from your eMessaging inbox from this website or on the Securus mobile app for Android devices
- eMessaging on our Apple mobile app coming soon!
- eMessages are paid for by purchasing a book of ‘stamps’. Stamp pricing varies by facility. Once you select your inmate the stamp price will be shown.
- Find your inmate, purchase a book of stamps and start writing your message.
- Attach a photo for an additional stamp
- Pay for inmate reply for an additional stamp
- If your message is rejected or the inmate reply is rejected by the facility you will receive a reject message in your eMessage inbox with the reason for the rejection
- Stamps are not refunded if a facility rejects a message
All messages are subject to review by the facility.
For more information: http://www.co.la-crosse.wi.us/sheriff/jail.asp
To enroll for a Securus account: https://securustech.online/#/enroll
To get the Securus mobile app: https://securustech.net/mobile
Can I call an inmate or leave a message for an inmate?
Inmates have access to telephones from approximately 8AM to 10PM daily. Inmates can make outgoing calls only; they cannot receive incoming calls. The telephone system is operated by Securus [https://securustech.net/friends]. All outgoing phone calls are collect. You can set up an account by calling 1-800-844-6591. Please note jail staff has no control over the phone system. If you have a problem with the phones you may address it directly with Securus. All personal calls are recorded.
If you are receiving calls from the jail and wish them to stop you can block your telephone number by calling 800-844-6591.
Jail staff will not take personal messages, unless extenuating, verifiable circumstances arise.
If you have further questions regarding the status of an inmate, bail/bond amounts, or visiting schedules for a specific individual, please call the La Crosse County Jail at 608-785-9630.